Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Soldier wounded in Iraq is told to leave his Army home
Post Soldier wounded in Iraq is told to leave his Army home 
Soldier wounded in Iraq is told to leave his Army home within 30 days

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2797265.ece

Is this the way to treat a wounded soldier who has served his country for 18 years?

It is a clear case of the MoD only reacting after pressure from the media. Therefore this article corroborates what we say about keeping up the pressure for another injustice affecting 35,000 veterans - the PJM.

This is another case of the contempt shown to veterans by the MoD - one day the popular media will pick up on this story, then let's see the reaction of those suits!

Hamish

Ps I am glad I do not have the misfortune of sharing a country with civil servants and people in high office who show an infinite capacity to treat service personnel with contempt.

Post Re: Soldier wounded in Iraq is told to leave his Army home 
hamishw wrote:
Therefore this article corroborates what we say about keeping up the pressure for another injustice affecting 35,000 veterans - the PJM.

This is another case of the contempt shown to veterans by the MoD - one day the popular media will pick up on this story, then let's see the reaction of those suits!

Since the very start of this PJM campaign that you help lead, your leadership and support has been brilliant, Hamish.

And the astonishing thing is that you live in Oz! But you still support us here.

I totally agree with your sentiments - we shall one day say something or do something that will attract the attention of the popular press. The penny will then drop at the Mod and FCO and Cabinet Office - let's hope that happens before the penny becomes another Dead Man's Penny.

Meanwhile we continue to support our serving men and women by highhlighting articles such as this that are directly relevant to the PJM.

Let's get out there and keep lobbying the media - that's the message.

Thanks again,

Barry

Post Start here ... 
Go to http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13741#13741 and see how you can start lobbying a local newspaper.

As very recently suggested by my colleague Hamish in an email....let me call upon any ex- REME boys who may be reading and request of them that they write to Prince Philip, who is the Colonel in Chief of the REME, to suggest that a 'grace and favour home' be given to this soldier.

EVERY soldier or veteran has the RIGHT to contact his C-in-C directly in this manner.....if you are ex-REME now would be a real good time to exercise that right!

Post Veteran's Minister 
On a TV interview Derek Twigg, the so-called Veteran's Minister was asked if they had broken the covenant with the armed forces. He replied 'General Danatt, the head of the army, says we have not broken the covenant' - another big boy done it and ran away!

This is the same Veteran's Minister who used the media to spin that he was presenting medals to veterans instead of saying that he was presenting Veteran's Lapel Badges, and when he went to present them he slipped in the back door to avoid waiting veterans, some of whom had been refused entry because they had not been invited.

This man is a poor excuse for a Veteran's Minister and I look forward to the day when we are represented by someone who gives a stuff! Our public money is wasted on such a wimp.

Post Re: Veteran's Minister 
mcdangle wrote:
On a TV interview Derek Twigg, the so-called Veteran's Minister was asked if they had broken the covenant with the armed forces ... This man is a poor excuse for a Veteran's Minister and I look forward to the day when we are represented by someone who gives a stuff! Our public money is wasted on such a wimp.

From an email I sent today to some good friends:

Twigg is a dishonourable barsteward. And he is ignorant. Both of his responsibilities towards Veterans, and of the Covenant. He asks a serving soldier to confirm that the Covenant is being observed ... thus failing to understand that this has nothing to with serving soldiers. It is the Government - the employers - who are breaking the Covenant and Twigg is part of that Government.

Post Re: Veteran's Minister 
BarryF wrote:
mcdangle wrote:
On a TV interview Derek Twigg, the so-called Veteran's Minister was asked if they had broken the covenant with the armed forces ... This man is a poor excuse for a Veteran's Minister and I look forward to the day when we are represented by someone who gives a stuff! Our public money is wasted on such a wimp.

From an email I sent today to some good friends:

Twigg is a dishonourable barsteward. And he is ignorant. Both of his responsibilities towards Veterans, and of the Covenant. He asks a serving soldier to confirm that the Covenant is being observed ... thus failing to understand that this has nothing to with serving soldiers. It is the Government - the employers - who are breaking the Covenant and Twigg is part of that Government.

Oh yes ... and he is also inferring that the Royal British Legion is lying about the Broken Covenant in their campaign.

I wonder if he'll infer the same when the RBL tackles him about the PJM!

I have today copied the link to the local MP who just happens to be Michael Ancram as well as the local RBL and media. I have called upon them to look at this case and treat it as a priority. I have copied my e-mail to Barry and I will be on the telephone to the County Secretary first thing on Monday morning to follow this up. This is in my area of responsibility RBL wise and (without upsetting Jock) also in my political sphere of influence. I will do everything that I can to assist this family. I thank Hamish for bringing it to our attention.

John Ireland

This is in my area of responsibility RBL wise and (without upsetting Jock) also in my political sphere of influence.
John Ireland

...............Absolutely nothing recorded here with regard to this case 'upsets Jock' John!....I am delighted to see you be so determinedly proactive in support of a soldier, much in need.....and further delighted that you would exercise your considerable influence with the RBL and indeed any organization that might provide the necessary leverage to assist a brother.

No one, especially me, has or will ever, deny a member's right to individual political affiliation...nor to privately operating within ones sphere of political influence.....all I have ever criticized, as you well know, since I explained it to you in words of one syllable...is the overt proselytising that a politically motivated few have occasionally attempted on this Forum.

I applaud these your efforts and wish them every success...

I too thank Hamish for raising the issue.

John

Last edited by StanW on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
I am replying in the context of my relative who died while a POW of the Japanese in Thailand.

This post has no bearing on the PJM. But Admin cannot delete it. To do so would be one more injustice for those victims of heinous torture and murder.

But I would ask readers not to make any more comments.

Thank you,

Barry

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1