Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
New Memories Page! Family Memories 1950's
Post New Memories Page! Family Memories 1950's 
Thanks to Sue Brooks, we have been able to publish a page with many of her photographs from Malaya and Singapore in the early 1950's.

Sue was there as a child and went to school in Singapore - she also went on holiday to the Cameron Highlands in Malaya.

Her family witnessed the QEII Coronation celebrations in Singers and her mother took some stunning images with her Brownie camera.

Sue returned to Singapore in the early 1960's when she and her first husband were in the forces. Her husband, Jim Cairns, died 16 years ago. He was in the RMP - Sue was WRAC Provost. She is going to send us images from the 1960's and from Borneo - images taken by her husband.

Meanwhile, click on the link below, settle back, and enjoy some very evocative images that will bring back memories for many F4 readers.

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_family_1950s.htm

Post Re: New Memories Page! Family Memories 1950's 
Great Photos.

Plenty of places that I remember well.

Thanks Sue.

Post Tangle Inn 
Anyone remember the Tangle Inn and the lady who ran it?

Cold Tiger in an English pub atmosphere then out to the Pasar Malam and then some Chiili Beef.

Then back to the Tangle Inn.

Great memories. Thanks Sue.

Kev.

Yes Kev, I remember it well, went there many times. It was, as you know, located just off Tanglin Circus, don't remember the lady who ran it though.

Redcapfred/ScouserKev.......Lady went by the name of Hannah (surname unknown...or forgotten?....I'm reaching back a bit here!).....I do recall that she possessed a very loud voice and, when irritated, a remarkably 'salty' vocabulary, which impressed me as being equal to that of most soldiers of my acquaintance....But I didn't frequent the Tangle Inn much on my trips into Singapore (too 'up-market' for the likes of me).....I was a regular visitor in the Paris Bar on Bras Basha Road though.

Yes Kev, I remember it well, went there many times. It was, as you know, located just off Tanglin Circus, don't remember the lady who ran it though.

Likewise! I remember it well. Not very 'local' but a haven of normality after a few weeks hacking through the Hulu. I think the lady was from Liverpool. She ran that place like a good old fashioned 'landlord'!

Lady went by the name of Hannah (surname unknown...or forgotten?....I'm reaching back a bit here!).....I do recall that she possessed a very loud voice and, when irritated, a remarkably 'salty' vocabulary, which impressed me as being equal to that of most soldiers of my acquaintance

That rings a bell, Jock. I'll ask a friend of mine who used the Tangle Innas his local being based at the HQ just up the road.

'Jock' Fenton wrote:
I was a regular visitor in the Paris Bar on Bras Basha Road though.

Ahhh ... Paris ... aka the capital city of Japan? Wink

I remember the Tanglin girls oh la oh la oh la la la la (maybe a pussers song)

I bet you wet your whistle (So to speak) in these two also.

I perhaps can't remember the lady because when I went there I was courting a WRAC Signals girl from GCHQ, and ONLY had eyes for her !

I perhaps can't remember the lady because when I went there I was courting a WRAC Signals girl from GCHQ, and ONLY had eyes for her !

I can relate to that. I, too, was courting while in the Far East. Eventually I married my fiasca in the Garrison Church, Terendak, Malacca, after Jane flew out on (should that be 'in'?) a Britannia.

The Tangle Inn was pristine when compared to some of the other places I landed up in - thanks to the lady Gruppenfeuhrer who ran it. You could relax there without being hassled with numerous dodgy offers.

I belong to The Singapore Dawnwatchers Society, an august body of Int Corps men (no women served in the Int Corps in those days) and occasionally I bumped into some of them at The Tangle Inn. More typically, though, we would watch the dawn rise over the roof tops of Boogey Strasse ... happy, uncomplicated, days.

Barry

A slight deviation from the topic in hand, that of the Tangle Inn and environs....but in passing ....for the benefit of any who may be interested....there is a site dedicated to photographs of 57 - 59 Singapore taken by an ex-RAF chap (Pete Biggadike)....his website contains some interesting stuff and, having corresponded with him, I can verify that he is a 'good bloke'....my old 'hang-out', the Paris Bar, is represented in one of the frames...right next door to the Cathay Hotel on Bras Basha Road...I was most 'chuffed' to see this photograph, not having demonstrated sufficient foresight to take one myself, on one of my many visits there (probably too eager to rush indoors and 'have a cold one'!)

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~g8jan/index.html

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1