Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Supporting troops needn't mean backing war
Post Supporting troops needn't mean backing war 
Article by By Boris Johnson

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;jsessionid=RBUXTQSBOJT5ZQFIQMFSFFOAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/opinion/2007/09/27/do2701.xml

Hamish

Post Re: Supporting troops needn't mean backing war 
hamishw wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;jsessionid=RBUXTQSBOJT5ZQFIQMFSFFOAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/opinion/2007/09/27/do2701.xml

Hamish

Thanks, Hamish.

It's good to read that my MP, Richard Benyon, actively supports our servicemen and women.

He also supports veterans. He's still working on the PJM on our behalf as his latest letter to me (arrived yesterday) demonstrates.

Barry

hamishw wrote:

Hamish

Those of our 'Political Masters' who worry about adverse reaction to the sight of marching troops on the return from war zones. Let them stand at the Cenotaph on 11th Nov. and watch the reception given to yesterdays military as they march. The evidence is there, I just don't think that our Town Halls are in touch with how proud our normal citizens are of our lads. It seems to be minority 'Guardian Readers Rule' and b******* to the rest of you.
And judging by the number of Moslem ladies, children and men who cuddled up to us for their photographs in KL, I doubt many Imans would make a fuss either, or am I living on the wrong planet.

Owen Lawrence

Last edited by StanW on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total
I think that is a very good example of why we should not judge a book by its cover !

Stan, perhaps you have evidence of this if so can you please let us all share it otherwise I fear that by bringing religion into this debate could debase it.

John

Stan,
I think that is a very good example of why we should not judge a book by its cover !

Redcapfred,

Perhaps you would be good enough to explain what you mean as I can see no previous reference of anyone judging anything which could be deemed as 'judging a book by its cover'. Andy.

Last edited by StanW on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
You put your case well sir and I accept your reasoning. Your PS say's it all. I hope that your hospital appointment goes well and that you return to the site in the very near future fit and well and ready to do battle once more.

Regards

John

Will not be writing any more comments for a while - pre planned cut-off date was October 1, and like another 'well famous' John once said, to "Give Peace a Chance"

Stan,

Keep up the good work for ex-servicemen and women in the your area! I know you don't plan to, but if you were to stop it is likely that support will fade away fast.

And don't refrain from comments on this Forum. I and many others will look forward to seeing you back on or soon after the 2nd!

All the best,

Barry

PS:

jireland wrote:
You put your case well sir and I accept your reasoning. Your PS say's it all. I hope that your hospital appointment goes well and that you return to the site in the very near future fit and well and ready to do battle once more.

Regards

John

Thanks, John. A good point at which to lock this Topic. Barry

P.S. I think what Redcapfred is trying to say, asuming he based his opion on the same comments section too, that we seem to be suckering-up to the minority view in that it's best 'not to be seen' to approve of anything for fear of recrimination?

PPS:

Sorry, I intended to comment on this reference to Redcapfred's post - When he said "I think that is a very good example of why we should not judge a book by its cover !" I think Redcapfred may have been making a broader and more fundamental suggestion ... a small-c 'christian' observation ... and one with which I most heartily agree.

Having made a comment myself, I have unlocked this Topic for a few days.

Barry

Amen to that! Just because our political masters have not properly read up on the history, politics, tribalism, religious perspectives, etc., of Iraq and even moreso, Afghanistan; does not mean that 'Tommy Atkins' should lack all means of support!

My maternal grandfather, who died well before I was born, was stationed on the North-West frontier of India, and used to have to sally forth into Afghanistan with his mounted troops, to launch punitive raids on Pathan/Pashtu villages and fortified positions. He could have told Bush and Blair about the folly of trying to bring that country into the 21st century in a shortish space of time. Culture and mindset are generally not really up to it just yet.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1