Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Wearing the PJM
Post Wearing the PJM 
I was wondering about the permission to wear the PJM. If ex British servicemen who have been awarded the PJM, show up at say, Remembrance Day Services wearing the award, who will stop them from wearing it?

Post Wearing the Medal 
Welcome !

I'm sure one of our Team will give you all the information you need, but basically the answer to your question is nobody. In the words of the MoD, "...the wearing of such medals is not policed..............they may wear them if they wish, but to do so would be a gross insult to the sovereign"
We veterans will NOT be guilty of being insulting to the sovereign, so all we seek is FORMAL permission to wear it.

Tony

This will be my first post on this site so if I am out of order TELL ME

Hello all. My name is Fred ex RAMC. I had my PJM awarded last Friday 17-08-07.
    Pleased to be among friends again.

I may be out of touch with this but I will throw it open to see what others think. >>>

Those that have had thier PJM presented will have a ribbon along with the Medal and a Miniture.
    I suggest that we wear the 'Ribbon' every day untill we attain the goal we seek.
    If you have the ribbon, wear it
    Mine will be on my jacket as from tomorrow and I will wear it with PRIDE.
    I call on all those that have the medal to do the same.
    We will not be beaten. We won in the Far East and we will win here.

Phredd
    In Arduis Fidelis

phredd wrote: This will be my first post on this site so if I am out of order TELL ME

Welcome to the Forum 'phredd'...thank you for your first post...we hope there may be many more and you most certainly are not 'out of order'!

As to your suggestion regarding the wearing of the ribbon....not a bad idea at all, for those who might wish to do so...would act as a 'conversation starter' for sure....good thinking!

Hope to hear more from you...

Post Wearing the ribbon. 
Welcome indeed. Phredd.

I am old enough to remember when soldiers of WW1 used to wear their medal ribbons on their waistcoats. Those who had the right to wear the 1914-15 Star simply wore that alone, knowing that the others were taken for granted. It seems a cruel thing to have done, but they must have done it for a reason. Maybe we can reverse the cruelty bit by wearing the PJM ribbon alone, keeping the GSM a secret in respect of the many who served but did not get it. Medals are not my personal bag, I go for the principle.

MB.

HI MIKE,I FIND IT VERY INTERESTING IN YOUR POSTING ABOUT WW1 SOLDIERS JUST WEARING THE 14-15 STAR,WONDER WHAT THAT MEANT,COULD IT HAVE BEEN THAT SQUEAK n WILFRED ,ISSUED TO JUST ABOUT EVERYONE,DIDN'T HAVE THE SAME KUDOS AS PIP,AS ISSUED TO THE OLD CONTEMPIBLES WITH CLASP,OR JUST THE STAR,AS ISSUED TO LOTS OF T.A .UNITS.( LIKE MY G'DAD),IT WOULD DENOTE THEM AS IN AT THE BEGINNING,AND NOT KITCHENER MEN,OR LATER DERBY MEN ,OR CONSCRIPTS,YA KNOW WHAT THE FORCES CAN BE LIKE FOR ONE UPMANSHIP ,ELITISM,OR JUST PLAIN OLE 'GET SOME IN'.A DARKER SIDE AND UNDERSTANDINGLY SO,COULD BE THEY WERE IN THE LAND FIT FOR HEROE'S,PHYSICALY AND MENTALLY DISABLED,UNEMPLOYED,WHILE THE STAY AT HOMES HAD THE WORK.GRANDAD HAD THE THE PHYSICAL AND MENTAL UNEMPLOYED BIT,AND WENT TO HIS GRAVE AGED 96 STILL WITH A SHRAPNEL BALL LODGED IN THE SIDE OF HIS HEART!(GOT THE X-RAY),ALL HIS LEFT FOOT TOES GONE,AND SCARRING LEFT SHOULDER BLADE N ARMPIT YOU COULD PUT A FOOTBALL THRU,BUT A TRUE GENT.

Post Pip, Squeak an' Wilfred 
Pete.

Going down to THERAPY to reply to the above post of yours.

MB

:) I was fortunate to be invited as a guest to the T.A. 100 Royal Garden Party at Buckingham palace. Hoping to get some reaction I wore my PJM next to my other court mounted medals. Not a word ,despite speaking to Princes Ann. If it is acceptable there it's acceptable anywhere. Dont forget as a civilian your medals belong to you so where them with pride.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations in getting to The Garden Party and wearing your medals with pride.............. Smile

Dave....on April 24th 2006 I wrote to the Princess Royal in her capacity as Colonel-in-Chief of The Royal Corps of Signals and as Commandant-in-Chief of St John Ambulance, in both of which I was privileged to serve.

In that letter I respectfully requested the assistance of my C-in-C with the PJM controversy (you may recall that it is our right to do so?).

I received in return a very polite letter from Princess Anne's Secretary advising me that this was a topic on which Princess Anne would not comment and on which she would not become involved.

I rather think your wearing of the medal was being tactfully ignored....which does not, in my humble opinion, equate to 'acceptability'.......Full permission to accept and wear signifies acceptability!

They can't hang you and they sure as hell can't make you pregnant so wear it!!!

John

Smile I was fortunate to be invited as a guest to the T.A. 100 Royal Garden Party at Buckingham palace. Hoping to get some reaction I wore my PJM next to my other court mounted medals. Not a word ,despite speaking to Princes Ann.

Welcome to the F4 Forum, Dave. Delighted to hear you wore your PJM in such august company!

Another example of the PJM prevailing over "Confrontation"?

I hope all PJMers will follow your example - given the opportunity, of course!

All the best,

Barry

Post July Edition Soldier Magazine Re PJM 
http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/mag/update3.htm

Medal row rumbles

Campaign controversy: The Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal is being taken on parade by many ex-soldiers despite the official line that it should not be worn

PROUD veterans who served on operations in the Far East half a century ago are increasing the pressure on politicians in Westminster for permission to wear a special award.

Presented by the Malaysian Government, the coveted Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal (PJM) is being issued to personnel who served during the volatile Malayan Emergency period between 1957 and 1966. But despite being given authority to receive the award by the Queen, former soldiers are not officially allowed to mount it alongside their other campaign medals because of the policy governing the wearing of foreign decorations.

The ruling has prompted outrage among veterans, who point out that comrades from Australia and New Zealand have already been granted permission to wear the medal for ceremonial events. Feelings were running high at the dedication of a new standard for the Surrey branch of the Malaya and Borneo Veterans’ Association, at the Royal Military Academy.

Scores of veterans ignored official guidance to leave their PJMs at home, and were unrepentant in their decision to wear it during the church parade.

Association national chairman Allyn Rees said that ex-soldiers were not governed by military regulations and many chose to don the PJM with pride for ceremonial occasions.

He told Soldier: “As far as I am concerned, most veterans of this campaign are no longer serving and no longer governed by the Queen’s Regulations.

“We therefore wear the PJM with dignity and pride and we are extremely grateful to the Malaysian Government for their kind gesture.”

Vice chairman John McAulay insisted that veterans would continue their campaign for the right to legitimately wear the medal.

He added: “As veterans we can wear what we like, but we are concerned that personnel who are still serving are not allowed to do so.”

I was looking today a a photo of Maj Gen Mike Jeffery, who recently retired as Governor General of Australia. He was among the first to be presented with the PJM in Australia, it was done by the Malaysian High Commissioner. I notice in the photo he wears the PJM as the second last medal, before the Vietnamese Medal, one that was presented by the government of South Vietnam way back in 1968, but still a foreign government, foreign medal, and approved by the Queen for wearing by Aust and NZ forces who served for a minimum 181 days in country SVN. Gen Jeffery served in Malaya (at Terendak as a Captain) with 2 RAR then 3 RAR, the in Borneo with the SAS, before earning his MC in Vietnam with 8 RAR. As the Gov General he was the representative of the Queen in Australia, and it really does look like the civil servants in London need to open their eyes.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1