Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Petition to bring back Military Hospitals
Post Petition to bring back Military Hospitals 
I've just received my RBL local newsletter. I haven't heard of this one before, but I've just signed it.
With top and retired Generals including an RAMC General that dedicated military hospitals are not necessary I wonder if there is any chance of this succeeding. It seems that they have just rolled over to have "their bellies tickled " as a reward for backing the decisions of the Politicians and Civil Service EXPERTS ?! In my view recovery to a degree depends not just on
hospital treatment per se, but in an environment in which the physically wounded and the traumatised recognise and trust those caring for them as part of the Armed Services Family! At this moment there are 25,619 signatures; the closing date is the 6th August 2007.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Forces-Hospitals/

Kuching.
Having had to use the services of BMH Terendak and BMH Singapore in 64 and 66, I would concur that the sevice is essential

signed today

Cameron H Buchanan

Having spent some time in Haslar in the 1960`s, i know what it is like. Just signed the petition.

I dont know if you have read this but how can we bring back hospitals when people object to them ?

It is often the first port of call for servicemen and women returning home after being wounded in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Soldiers who may have lost limbs or suffered severe trauma spend months rebuilding their lives at Headley Court military rehabilitation centre.

But when an Armed Forces charity decided to buy a £ 1.7million six-bedroom house nearby so visiting relatives would have somewhere to stay, the well-heeled neighbours in Ashtead, Surrey, launched their own offensive

The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association, which has applied to the local council to to make some alterations at the property, including installing a wheelchair ramp, had been hoping for no objections.

After all, Headley Court had been part of the area for more than 60 years.

But residents apparently do mind. They have flooded the council with almost 100 letters of protest, raising every conceivable objection to the new property being used to house families visiting soldiers.

They claimed 'additional noise' and 'huge amount of additional traffic' would ruin the peace of the private lane and warned that the value of their multi-million-pound properties would plummet.

The families 'would not be welcome', they said, and their arrival could 'destroy the character' of the area.

One resident even objected on security grounds, claiming the house could become a terrorist target, while another suggested wheelchairs would present a fire hazard.

Planners at Mole Valley District Council will consider the case on August 1 but last night serving soldiers made their views clear.

One Army officer recently returned from Iraq said: "They make me sick. It's just staggeringly selfish.

"Perhaps these people would care to come out to the field hospital in Basra and tell some young soldier having his leg amputated after a [bomb] attack exactly why his family isn't worthy to rub shoulders with this bunch in their Surrey village.

"Who do they think they are? Do they have the slightest clue about the sacrifices-young soldiers make on their behalf every day? Shame on them."

SSAFA spokesman Athol Hendry said: "These people should be ashamed of themselves. This level of hostility is incredibly disappointing and frankly astonishing.

"If you've just got back from risking your life in Iraq, you've lost two legs and you learn your young family are not welcome near the hospital where you're being treated - what kind of a message is that?"

Residents' association chairman Malcolm Webb, a 58-year-old oil executive, denied residents were 'nimbys'.

"This is just the wrong place and the wrong property," he said. "Some are concerned - in these awful days when these ghastly terrorists go after the softest targets - about the security situation."

Mole Valley - Conservative - Sir Paul Beresford

Further to my last, perhaps you would like to read the letters of objection - http://www.molevalley.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=MO/2007/0863&backURL=<a%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=107814>Search%20Criteria</a>%20>%20<a%20href='wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=193236%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=APNID:asc%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=<a%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=107814>Search%20Criteria</a>'>Search%20Results</a>

Post The 'NIMBY' Syndrome 
As almost everyone knows, NIMBY is the acronym for "Not In My Back Yard." It is the rallying cry of residents who are opposed to the establishment of undesirable facilities, such as incinerators, landfills, or prisons, in their community.

For a facility, such as the one proposed for this large home, i.e. as temporary 'lodgings' to permit family members to be, temporarily, in closer proximity to their badly injured kin, to be judged to be in the same 'undesirable' category as "incinerators, landfills, or prisons" simply beggars belief.

Bad for the tone of the place to have less wealthy people living in the neighbourhood I guess?

What do such people use in place of hearts?

Post In place of hearts. 
Jock.

Lead, purporting to be gold.

MB

Post In War and Peace 
How can this lot look at themselves in the mirror ! They should be ashamed of themselves. They must all be qualified to sit on the H and D Committee.

http://www.molevalley.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=4222

"Every year I find out something new about the history of our District". And so do we Councillor Hall, so do we.

Kuching.
Post Headley Court 
I have sent this email as a private person. I appreciate that our campaigning, rightly, is for the right to wear the PJM, however I feel that this is not inappropriate for this particular item. If it is, I sincerely apologise.

David

I wonder was Headley Court in existence before the houses of the protesters and if so did it complain about their houses being built.

I would be happy if you, and all your contacts, could add to this petition - http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Headley/

Kuching.
Post Headley 
Fred - thanks for the info - I've just signed.
Now, I'm off to spread the gospel!

Regards,

David

Some people in Mole Valley do not want the families of our injured and wounded troops in your area; they are a disgrace I’m glad I do not have to breath the same air as them.
Their freedom and their lifestyle are maintained by the willingness of our forces to serve this Country.

I sent the above along with my name and address.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next