Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Contact with MPs
Post Contact with MPs 
Hi Borneo Vet 1965 SWB
I have been surfing this net for the past few weeks and have decided to take the plunge and lobby my MP, Grant Shapps (Con) Welwyn Hatfield, about this absurd decision by this shabby government, to deny us veterans the right to " OFFICIALLY " Wear the PJM.
Much to my suprise, I receved a reply from him the other day in which he says he finds it rediculas that veterans may accept a medal but may not peritted to wear it. He goes on to say that he has written to Jack Straw on my behalfand and as soon as receives a reply, he will forward it to me, then we can deside how we can take this further if necessary.
I think you can add Grant Shapps to the list of MP supporters, keep up the good work.

David

That is great news and welcome to the forum
John C

Post Re: Contact with MPs 
David Hughes wrote:
and have decided to take the plunge and lobby my MP, Grant Shapps (Con) Welwyn Hatfield, about this absurd decision by this shabby government, to deny us veterans the right to " OFFICIALLY " Wear the PJM... I think you can add Grant Shapps to the list of MP supporters, keep up the good work.

Welcome, David - and thanks for your support. This is great news. I'll add GS's name to our Hall of Fame. Barry.

Post Letter from Ian Pearson 
I received a letter from my MP Grant Shapps, enclosing a reply from Ian Pearson regarding my question on the right to officially wear the PJM. This was his reply.

Dear Grant,

Thank you for your letter of the 14 March to the Foreign Secretary on behalf of one of your constituents, about the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM). I am replying as Minister responsible for our relations with Malaysia.

I made a statement about the PJM in the Commons on the 31 January. I attach a copy, which you may like to pass to your constituent, if he does not already have one.

Each request for British citizens to be permitted to receive and wear a non-British award is considered on its merits, in the light of the rules governing the accepting and wearing of non-British awards, taking into account any special circumstances at the time of the request.

Generally speaking, neither accepting or wearing a non- British award is permitted when the events relating to the medal in question took place more than 5 years before initial consideration and/or when a British medal has been awarded for the same service.

The exception to the Rules recommended by the HD Committee with regard to the PJM, seeks to recognise the generous gesture by the Malaysian authorities while preserving the integrity of the British honours system-a key point of which is that only one medal may be worn in recognition of a particular event or action.

Ian Pearson

Well it seems these dipsticks are still pushing out the official eye-wash but at leased we can continue to attack them from different fronts. GS by the way will continue to press the Government on this issue. Can t ask for more.

David

Sad

Well done David! Keep at 'em they will give in at the end of the day you really can't believe how childish these adults appear to be to the General Public who pay their wages and pensions. One day they will get their just desserts........

Post Re: Letter from Ian Pearson 
David Hughes wrote:
.. taking into account any special circumstances at the time of the request. (1)

Generally speaking, neither accepting or wearing a non- British award is permitted when the events relating to the medal in question took place more than 5 years before initial consideration and/or when a British medal has been awarded for the same service.

... a key point of which is that only one medal may be worn in recognition of a particular event or action. (2)

David, This is of considerable interest. It contradicts previous utterances:

(1) about not considering anything at the time of the request in respect of service/events more than 5 years, and

(2) we have specific examples of no double-medalling - 28 Comwel Brigade and some RN medal issues.

The response you received will be of great help. Yet again they are trying to produce new nuances when trying to prop up their empty, fallacious, arguments for the keepsake award. I'm producing a web page of such damaging contradictions which, I am happy to report, is getting longer and longer. Thanks, Barry

Until now, I had thought that Mr Pearson had some understanding of the PJM - apparently not. But perhaps he is still relying on the discreditd info given to him by the MoD.

Post IAN PEARSON. 
What interests me about this letter from Ian Pearson MP is his remark that 'a key point of (the integrity of the British system) which is that only one medal may be worn in recognition of a particular event or action'.
Now where did he get this from.
The rules on foreign awards submitted by Jack 'the lad' Straw make no mention of this and now we have Pearson seemingly making this the main reason for not allowing the PJM to be worn. I get the feeling he is desperately seeking and running out of excuses. He does not seem to understand that this statement is absolute bollocks and a man in his position should have come up with a much better argument than that. Just shows the level of intelligent we are dealing with - neanderthal man.

Post Re: IAN PEARSON. 
mcdangle wrote:
I get the feeling he is desperately seeking and running out of excuses.

Andy, you are right. 'They' are wriggling even in the FCO because they know a cock-up has been made because, inter alia, of wrong advice on double-medalling from the MoD and others and as a result our rights have been withheld without any justification. They running around trying to cover their backs.

We shall continue to expose them for what they are.

Post Re: Letter from Ian Pearson 
David Hughes wrote:

Each request for British citizens to be permitted to receive and wear a non-British award

Sad

Just the other day these Wallies were referring to the PJM as a "foreign" award or medal.

Whats going on here.

Ah yes, it's called spin, isn't it?

Post Re: IAN PEARSON. 
mcdangle wrote:
What interests me about this letter from Ian Pearson MP is his remark that 'a key point of (the integrity of the British system) which is that only one medal may be worn in recognition of a particular event or action'.
Now where did he get this from.
The rules on foreign awards submitted by Jack 'the lad' Straw make no mention of this and now we have Pearson seemingly making this the main reason for not allowing the PJM to be worn.

George F.

Sharpen up your quill and send this plonker another of your well-constructed missiles, sorry, missives.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1