Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Margaret Beckett
Post Margaret Beckett 
Hot in the footsteps of Barry and Gerald, I have vented my spleen on the "they work for you site". (Do they?) An answer by Margaret Beckett to a question by Jon Trickett.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2007-06-15a.140802.h&c=11666#c11666

John Rushton
Posted on 18 Jun 2007 9:45 pm

Why oh why does this discredited Foreign Secretary continue to ignore the fact that Her Majesty gave permission for this honourable medal to be worn as per the entry in the London Gazette of May 1968?

Why oh why does this discredited Foreign Secretary continue not to acknowledge the numerous communications she has received on this subject from Veterans and others?

Why oh why does this Foreign Secretary continue to insult thousands of honourable Veterans of the Malayan Emergency and Confrontation and continue to dishonour the memory of the 519 of our number who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Why oh why does this Foreign Secretary, and the Government of which she is part, continue to insult the many more Veterans who were maimed in mind and body.

I'll tell you why, because they just do not care. They are quick enough to take the glory from our Armed Services actions whilst making every effort to reduce the finest Armed Forces in the world into Services who cannot get even adequate levels of equiptment or medical services for those wounded in action.

With reference to Mr Flemings report of a Civil Servant referring to the PJM coming from a box of Corn Flakes, well that beggars belief. It will of course come from someone who expects as of right to be included in the Honours List for simply doing what he or she is well paid to do. Well I have my "Corn Flake" medal, I am very proud of it, I respect the gracious actions of Malaysia in recognising my service in Borneo, and I will wear it when ever the occasion allows.

Veterans Day.........don't make me laugh Mr Brown. It is actions we demand, not empty gestures.

Kuching.
Post And theres more !!! 
To follow Jock's comments on

http://www.thisishampshire.net/news/hampshirenews/display.var.1479883.0.malaya_veterans_honoured.php

I can only support the comments made by Jock Fenton.

Why have only British Service personel been treated in this shabby way? Comrades from New Zealand, Australia and Fiji, who stood side by side with us in these conflicts, were immediately granted permission to wear this medal by Her Majesty the Queen.

After much searching of archives by our colleagues, friends and supporters, it was discovered that an entry in the London Gazette in May 1968 clearly gave her Majesty's permission for such foreign awards to be worn, but even now, rather than admit they were wrong, Senior Civil Servants in the Foreign Office and MOD persist in trying to deny this right to wear to British Veterans.

Kuching.
Well done John!....it's always good to know that you've 'got my back'...

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1