Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
A Timely Reminder
The bren gun was alive and well in the RN 63/64. I manned the bren gun on patrols to Kuching and in the Malacca straits. It was used to cover short range situations such as boat searches and sniper fire from the river bank. As a marksman I had a fondness for the bren as a very accurate weapon in its day.

I'm with you on that, Ivor. It was very accurate ... and I enjoyed using tracer (in a 28 round magazine I used 1 to 6 or more if I could get away with it). To this day I can see the glowing arcs of the tracer rounds as they headed towards the target and the red glow (or sparks) as they struck. A wonderful weapon - except when carrying it on cross-countries jaunts or when exiting a Hastings with it stuck in your container. I think a Bren was used in the first Iraq war.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/3/30/focus/17283771&sec=focus

Well done, David.

That is great David & Laurie, thanks for keeping an eye out, perhaps the Malaysian people will see Whitehall for what they really are Spin Doctors of deceit and myth.

If you see anything in the Straits Times Laurie, would appreciate a pointer, many thanks again.

Hi John, I usually check each of the local papers on a daily basis for items of PJM interest. If I miss them, TMS points them out to me. It was he who alerted me to David's letter this morning.

Nothing in the New Straits Times for some while. Will keep a weather eye open.

In today's Star: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/3/30/focus/17283771&sec=focus

Brilliant, David - and our thanks to eagle-eyed Laurie. Here is my letter to The Editor of The Star:

Sir,

Mr Dilley makes a telling point. Why does a small group of civil servants display such vigorous cynicism in their attempts to stop British citizens, and only British citizens, from wearing the honourable Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM)?

The case for wearing the medal is overwhelming as evidenced by the stunning support for the case from the majority of elected Members of Parliament, Privy Counsellors, and Barristers - and from the vast majority of the people of the United Kingdom who will always hold Malaysia in high regard.

But even when we produce irrefutable evidence for our case, a few civil servants continue to peel the onion. At each ‘peel’ they roll out ever-increasing layers of contradictory and misleading excuses. For example I have been told by the Cabinet Office that the London Gazette Notice (the official organ for promulgating Orders, Decorations, and Medals) does not apply to British veterans who are eligible to receive the PJM! Why? They have actually stated that they can resurrect a defunct 1969 internal paper (defunct by their own admission) to support their untenable case.

We have no doubt at all that the Gazette Notice promulgates The Queen’s permission for those eligible under it to wear their PJM. Eligibility was promulgated at the time in unambiguous terms – the only people to whom the Notice does not apply are Crown servants during their official life time at the time a medal is conferred. That’s not the vast majority of us. We retired long ago and well before The Queen approved the medal to be conferred in 2006.

We remain loyal to The Queen and will abide by her known decrees. Until the London Gazette Notice is rescinded or amended by Her we shall wear our PJM with honour and in so doing will be displaying our gratitude to, and high regard for, Malaysia. We are not going to let less than twelve civil servants dictate to us through erroneous statements that we should do otherwise.

Although we who are retired can wear our PJMs, we shall continue the campaign for all recipients to have formal permission to wear their medal. Those civil servants may publicly state that the PJM is not of sufficient standard to be worn, but we do not agree with that prejudiced 'assessment'. Nor, I believe, do the People of Malaysia. And it is they whom we PJMers shall never forget, and it is as much for them as for ourselves that we campaign for the full honour of the medal to be formally recognised by all and for all.

Thank you.

Barry Fleming

Stockbridge Cottage
Inkpen Common
Inkpen
Hungerford
Berkshire
RG17 9QP
United Kingdom

T: 0044 1488 668 100

E: barry@fight4thepjm.org

[I confirm that this letter has been sent exclusively to The Editor of The Star]

An excellent letter which I know the Malaysians will appreciate and the Whitehall Dirty Dozen will not.
The Malaysians and PJMers are friends and will always be so.
Paul

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2